Republic Act 9492 – Holidays and Mondays
“Holidays and Mondays always gets me down”
That’s from the song “Rainy Days and Monday” by the Carpenters.
Well.. it seems that these 2 words are now connected.. because President GMA signed into law Republic Act 9492:
AN ACT RATIONALIZING THE CELEBRATION OF NATIONAL HOLIDAYS AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE SECTION 26, CHAPTER 7, BOOK I OF EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 292, AS AMENDED, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE ADMINISTRATIVE CODE OF 1987
SECTION 1. Section 26, Chapter 7, Book I of Executive Order No. 292, as amended, otherwise known as the Administrative Code of 1987, is hereby amended to read as follows:
“Sec. 26, Regular Holidays and Nationwide Special Days. – (1) Unless otherwise modified by law, and or proclamation, the following regular holidays and special days shall be observed in the country:
A. Regular Holidays
New year’s Day – January 1
Maundy Thursday – Movable date
Good Friday – Movable date
Eidul Fitr – Movable date
Araw ng Kagitingan – Monday nearest April 9
(Bataaan and Corregidor Day)
Labor Day – Monday nearest May 1
Independence Day – Monday nearest June 12
National Heroes Day – Last Monday of August
Bonifacio Day – Monday nearest November 30
Christmas Day – December 25
Rizal Day – Monday nearest December 30
b. Nationwide Special Holidays:
Ninoy Aquino Day – Monday nearest August 21
All Saints Day – November 1
Last Day of the Year – December 31
C. In the event the holiday falls on a Wednesday, the holiday will be observed on the Monday of the week. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, the holiday will be observed on the Monday that follows:
Provided, That for movable holidays, the President shall issue a proclamation, at least six months prior to the holiday concerned, the specific date that shall be declared as a nonworking day:
Provided, however, The Eidul Adha shall be celebrated as a regional holiday in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.”
SEC. 2. All laws, orders, presidential issuances, rules and regulations or part thereof inconsistent with this Act are hereby repealed or modified accordingly.
SEC. 3. This Act shall take effect after fifteen (15) days following its publication in at least two newspapers of general circulation.
(Sgd.) JOSE DE VENECIA JR.
Speaker of the House of Representatives
(Sgd.) MANNY VILLAR
President of the Senate
This Act which originated in the Senate was finally passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives on January 30, 2007 and February 7, 2007, respectively.
(Sgd.) ROBERTO P. NAZARENO
Secretary General House of Representatives
(Sgd.) OSCAR G. YABES
Secretary of the Senate
Approved: July 25, 2007
(Sgd.)GLORIA MACAPAGAL – ARROYO
President of the Philippine
Summary (from GMA News.TV) :
1. The following holidays would be moved to the nearest Monday:
Araw ng Kagitingan (from April 9);
Labor Day (from May 1);
Independence Day (from June 12);
Ninoy Aquino Day (from August 21);
National Heroes Day (from the last Sunday of August);
Andres Bonifacio Day (from November 30);
and Rizal Day (from December 30)
2. If the holiday falls on a Wednesday, the holiday would be observed on the Monday of that week. If it falls on a Sunday, the holiday would be observed on the Monday that follows.
3. For movable holidays – such as Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Eidul Fitr or end of Ramadan – the President will issue a proclamation at least six months prior to the concerned holiday the specific date that it shall be declared as a nonworking day.
1. Scenario: Sunday and Monday are both Holidays. Will Monday be declared DOUBLE HOLIDAY? How bout if MOnday and Wednesday are both Holidays? =p
2. There are 2 Executive order 292.. 1 is known as the administrative code of 1987 and the other one is the extension for the PMEPC released last march 1, 2004.. just got confused at first.