Nokia PC phone – turn your PC into a Mobile Phone
Nokia PC Phone is an experimental service that gives you a possibility to use your mobile phone with your Web Browser. You can call, text and manage contacts from your phone.
I’ve used a similar program before. But it was only for receiving and sending messages using the phone. The nokia PC suite actually does this. You can send messages via PC as long as your phone is connected via bluetooth or data cable.
One of the difference with the PC phone is that it uses your web brower. Although you still need to download and install set-up file (which is less than 15mb)
Once the phone is connected, you will be able to access your contacts from your browser. You’ll also be able to see your messages, and call logs.
When a new message arrives, It will automatically be shown on the screen.
It will also show the number of unread messages.
I tried calling from my PC.
I think its telling me to pick up my phone! and i though i can use the PC speakers and microphone!
Here are the current known issues:
- Internet Explorer 7 is not yet supported
- Text messages sent with Nokia PC Phone are not stored with certain Series 40 phone models
- Disconnect/reconnect cable with certain older models does not work reliable
- The date of call log entries do not always obey correct time zone difference
- Support for Series 60 phones is preliminary (only Series 60 3.0 Feature Pack 1 with USB are supported)
- SMS recipient selection from dropdown menu or contacts is not working; to send an SMS type the number or
select the recipient using the “Options” button from Messages or Calls tab
- Some times “You are calling to” dialogue adds two extra characters to the end of the phone number;
delete them before dialing
- “Send Text Message” button in the Contacts tab (that is used to send SMS to several recipients) does not work
- “Send Text Message” button in the Contact Details does not work
Here are other “problems” that i encountered:
- The arrangement of messages in my phone is different from that which is shown on the PC Phone web.
- The messages that i sent using PC phone are not stored on my sent items folder on my phone.
- I can’t delete messages on the PC Phone.
- I can’t reply or forward messages when i click the options button (in short, the options button is not working).
I wish the following additional features be added:
> Export and import messages (which should be done by PC suite). The Faq section says you can export logs but there’s no button on the web interface for this. and i checked my PC and can’t find the logs.
> Use the PC’s speakers and microphone when making and receiving calls. Or have an option to turn on the speaker phone of the mobile unit.
> Also, i hope that future releases would do away with the PC installation which a heavy (less than ) 15mb.
I think this software would be a great tool for those who’s mostly in front of the PC and would rather do the basic mobile phone stuff on their PC rather than on their phone.
Make the software/program Lite.
I only tested this using Nokia 6233.